catherinejames

Shadows of Asphodel
Karen Kincy
Writer for Hire: 101 Secrets to Freelance Success
Kelly James Enger
Dumbfounded: Big Money. Big Hair. Big Problems. Or Why Having It All Isn't for Sissies. - Matt Rothschild So you think being raised by wealthy Jewish grandparents in a Fifth Avenue apartment, twelve years of prep and boarding schools, regular trips to FAO Schwartz, chauffeured limousines, or visiting Mom at her husband's Italian villa also means a life on easy street? Then you haven't read Matt Rothschild's family. memoir, DUMBFOUNDED.

In his memoir, DUMBFOUNDED, Matt paints a lush and detailed portrait of life as a complex, awkward, outsider in a world that demands conformity and simple definition. Despite growing up in a completely different environment, I felt constant sense of familiarity and kinship with Matt. Whether he was describing the painful silence that greeted his a capella rendition of "Get Happy" for the sixth-grade talent show; spinning tales of his midget butler, Little Saigon, in the hopes of pleasing his fickle grandmother; or confronting an ever increasing awareness that his sexuality might not fit society's definition of "normal."

Matt's story runs the gamut of human emotion from laugh-out-loud hilarity, to chest-aching heartbreak. DUMBFOUNDED is a book about people and it reminds us that once stripped of all our ideological constructs (wealth, race, faith, gender, orientation, nationality, etc.) at our core, we're all pretty much the same.

Originally posted at TeensReadToo.com.